Nobelius Land Surveyors work with property developers and land owners to change land use, and transform underused land into attractive residential estates, townhouses, commercial lots, and apartments


If you’re a property developer or land owner looking to change your land use, or transform underused land into residential estates, townhouses, commercial lots or apartments, we can help. We offer a full range of property development services from acquisition through to management of a subdivision, as well as cadastral, engineering and topographic surveying.


Our team of licensed surveyors have completed land development projects all over Melbourne’s south-eastern metropolitan fringe, travelling to sites within 100km of our home base in Pakenham. From large estate developments to small projects of less than 20 lots, we have proven experience in the field.

Read more >


We play a critical role in large estate developments, working closely with property developers and consultants to legally define the dimensions of new or existing properties, provide detailed topographic surveys and subsequent survey control to enable civil engineering design and construction.

For more than 20 years we’ve successfully delivered on large scale development projects. Here are a few we have recently completed:

  • Weebar Road Drouin: Large scale development including 1700 plus residential lots, commercial precinct, primary and secondary schools, sewer pump station, major Melbourne Water reserves and basin and two VicRoads intersections.
  • Brandy Creek Road Warragul: Large scale development including 400 residential lots, 1.5km of offsite gravity fed trunk sewer, large Melbourne Water reserve and basin and VicRoads intersection.
  • Drouin Golf Club / McGlones Road: Development including 270 residential lots, 140 low density residential lots, sewer pump station and 2.5km of trunk sewer and rising main.
  • Wattletree Road Bunyip: Residential development of 18 lots, cash flow planning and projections, negotiation with neighbours for service outfalls, council negotiations for vegetation and drainage issues.
  • Drouin Road Longwarry: Residential development including 25 lots, offsite drainage detention, VicRoads intersection, negotiation with neighbours, council and DELWP for service outfalls.
  • The Beaumaris: A large scale urban infill development comprising of 63 apartments, two shops and a restaurant.
  • Pakenham Racecourse: Assisted in the layout, logistics and governance of the Trainers Allotment Subdivision. Ongoing allotment design and creation, future planning of possible residential and commercial precincts, sewer pump station and rising main.


Our team specialise in small urban developments, working with home owners and farmers wanting to develop their own land. As a family owned firm, we understand this can be an emotional decision, and we take the time to help our clients through each step of the subdivision process.

A subdivision is simply the reorganising of title boundaries into new configurations. It can include dividing one piece of land into multiple blocks, rearranging the boundaries of existing lots, creating an easement to allow road access or merging multiple lots into one.

When subdividing land, there are seven key steps – here’s an overview of the process:


We’ll start by assessing the proposed development site, it’s surrounding area, adjoining properties and identify any possible environmental impacts. We will then draw up a plan of subdivision which is submitted to council, along with the planning permit application. This plan is also used for future sale contracts and service authority applications.

Please note: In Victoria only licensed land surveyors are qualified to determine the location of existing title boundaries or create new title boundaries.


Our team prepare all the relevant documentation and upon payment of council lodgement fees ($1,286.10 at the time of writing) will lodge the subdivision planning permit application on your behalf. As the council assess your application, they may request further information from servicing authorities (e.g. electricity, water, sewerage, etc.), along with internal departments within council. They may also notify the owners of surrounding properties.

The application process generally takes between four and six months, but can be longer, depending on the workload of available council planners and the complexity of the application.


Once the council approves your application, they will issue a subdivision permit. This contains a list of special conditions the landowner or developer must comply with to enable the subdivision to proceed. Special conditions may include applications and approvals from servicing authorities as well as additional fees payable to council.

After the issue of the subdivision permit, we’ll conduct a site survey and peg the proposed lots to finalise the plan of subdivision. At this point the plan is ready for certification by council. We’ll ask you to sign an owner’s consent form to allow us to submit the application to council on your behalf and to pay the council’s certification fee ($170.50 at the time of writing).


Your application for certification will be lodged with council using an online system called SPEAR which allows you to independently track the progress of your application at any time.

As council assess your certification application, they will refer it to the relevant servicing authorities who must all consent to the layout and inclusions of the plan. Servicing authorities may request changes to the plan such as requiring an easement to allow them rights to a specific part of the land to maintain existing or future infrastructure.


While council is assessing your certification application, you must also apply independently to relevant servicing authorities for approval. We’ll provide all the relevant forms for you to complete so you can lodge them directly with the electricity, gas, water and telecommunications authorities.

Council and servicing authorities may require completion of works (driveways, drainage, landscaping, service connections/extensions, etc.) and an inspection may be required when works are completed. There may also be fees or levy’s payable at this stage (public open space contribution, development contribution plan levy, service connection fees, etc.). In addition, written confirmation is required from either NBN or Telstra confirming that phone and fibre connections are either already installed or available for connection at the site.

Please note: It is strongly recommended that you contact the relevant telecommunications network or service provider prior to the application being lodged with council to obtain the necessary provisioning letter.


Once council approves the certification, we’ll be notified via SPEAR and will then complete the abstract of field records and surveyors report.


When all the service authority requirements are met (works, fees, inspections, etc.) and all planning permit conditions are satisfied, council will issue the statement of compliance, and the survey components of the land development are complete.

Once all accounts have been settled, your statement of compliance, certified plan of subdivision and survey documentation will be forwarded to your conveyancer or solicitor so the application to Land Victoria for registration can be made.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


"We’re always striving to become better at what we do and are constantly on the lookout for new innovations and technologies that can improve our services and add value to our client’s projects”

Contact Us

Phone: 03 5941 4112

20 Henry Street,
Pakenham, Victoria 3810

PO Box 461,
Pakenham Victoria 3810
E: [email protected]